Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2023

A Bit about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I have lived with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) likely most of my life but was only properly diagnosed at age 25 (just before I got married). Before that, I often blamed my OCD symptoms on only spiritual things. 

When you first mention OCD, people often think of “neat freaks” or people who clean a lot.  The image of constant hand-washing or germaphobes also comes to mind. But OCD can be much more than that and it can tear an other-wise normal person apart if left untreated. 

OCD is classified as an anxiety disorder and, as the name suggests, consists first of obsessions (like over-reacting to germs) and then by compulsions (like washing your hands till they bleed). Some studies have shown that OCD originates in the caudate nucleus near the front of the brain (when it is over-stimulated). 



OCD will often focus itself on what’s most important to you (health, family etc) and then torment you with the idea of that thing being in constant danger.  

In my case, OCD does take on a spiritual flavour. My faith is very important to me and thus OCD attacks it (If I didn’t have faith, then it would just attack something else in my life). Some have called this spiritual type of OCD “scrupulosity” and as I survey history, I can notice it in certain people such as John Bunyan (author of Pilgrim’s Progress) and Martin Luther (the man who sparked the Protestant Reformation). 

In my personal struggle, this often looks like a persistent fear of losing my salvation. Theologically speaking, I do not believe one can lose their salvation once they have trusted in Christ; however, OCD is not rational and, in that sense, I wrestle daily with thoughts and anxieties about it. It is a constant battle and the amount of mental energy it takes to “keep it together” leaves me exhausted. 

At any rate, I’m not writing for pity. I’m writing as a way to help explain what OCD is and how it affects people. If you suffer with OCD, please be encouraged. Through things like medicine, cognitive behaviour therapy and the support of family and friends it can get better. 


For Further reading please see:

The Obsessive-Compulsive Trap by Dr. Mark Crawford

Brain Lock by Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz

2 comments:

  1. I posted this on one of your older blogs but want to post it again here...

    Thanks for being vulnerable to share your story & for the info & encouragement! Mark DeJesus has a wealth of info on OCD on his website and on YouTube. He is a Christian & used to be a pastor who had / has OCD. I highly recommend his materials. Blessings to you & to anyone reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to some of Mark DeJesus' teachings... pray it helps someone.

    https://www.youtube.com/live/FL8CKqk_GKQ?si=qx29rAWmY4Z-nxQV

    ReplyDelete