Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sexual Healing - Spoken Word Poem by Jeff Bethke

Take the time to listen to this guy's spoken word poem .


I've also transcribed the words/lyrics below if you want to read them.


This challenges the status quo on sex


I have no copyright for this - All rights belong to Jeff Bethke


"I mean if sex is just for fun
Why does it take such a toll?
Maybe its because you don’t just
 have sex with a body
You  have sex with a soul"

Youtube:   Sexual Healing

or Godvine:




Sexual Healing

So let’s look at the subject
I’m gonna tell you why I’m disgusted

So tonight, it looks like sex will be our topic of discussion
Now see, sex isn’t evil, for marriage is why God made it
But I know you’re like “c’mon.. that’s too outdated.”
“This is 2011 bro, we do it for recreation.”
And hey, if you’re in college you do it while you’re wasted.

But I want to question this logic
I want to pop off the seal
I want to question something
that we think is already a done deal

So take a rape victim for example
And once its revealed
When her bruises go away
Is she totally healed?

Nah, the damage is lasting
You can see it in her eyes
But if it was just abused recreation
Why did it ruin her life?

I mean if sex is just for fun
Why does it take such a toll?
Maybe its because you don’t just
 have sex with a body
You  have sex with a soul

Which means for me
There ain’t no pre-marital lovin’
And it ain’t just cause I don’t want a baby in the oven
It’s cause I’m staying pure till the day that I’m a husband

But see, this wasn’t always me
That’s a guarantee
Let’s go back in the past
See who I used to be

Now growing up
I never learned how to treat a lady
If I learned one thing from my dad…
It was leave the mom, ditch the baby

Now I don’t say that to get sympathy
I say that to be real
Because, according to stats,
About 40% of you know how that feels

So I let the T.V. show me
What the music already told me
No dad at home
So I was letting MTV mold me

And they sold me
Which is why my life revolved
Around whatever girl I could get next
My Life revolved around this girl named Sex

Sure I’d get at her on the texts
But I gotta confess
It seemed the longer we dated
The bigger the mess

But then my girlfriend was late
On that time of the month
If you know what I mean you understand
When I say my heart sunk

I started to think about abortion, man
I started to butter it up
But its funny - They don’t just 
make condoms for sin
You can’t just cover it up

It was just a scare
But I knew a father , I didn’t want to be
Its funny how I was pro-life
Until it happened to me

So dudes think twice before you desire her
Just because you think that she’s hot
Cause the truth is – your body makes a promise
Whether you do or not.

Sorry I digressed though
Lets get back to the topic
Now there’s some dude who pressure her
Even when she says stop it

You’re not a man, you’re just a boy that can shave
And you put on a good cover
Cause if you don’t respect her when she says know
You certainly don’t love her

So how about you start studying her heart
Stop studying her booty
Or maybe – invest the same amount 
of time in her
That you do in Call of Duty

Cause what makes you think you can get this girl
And all of a sudden get naughty
Because you should have to touch her heart and her mind first
Before you ever touch her body

Because she longs to be accepted
She longs to be loved
So she gives herself up
To another guy’s lust

She thinks it feels good at her first
But then she gets bitter
Because the promise of satisfaction –
It never delivers

She’s like I don’t want to
But its just too tempting
So she keeps opening up the present
Just to find that its empty

And then she starts to get confused
She keeps getting rejected by all these dudes
They tell her on a scale of 10 – she’s a 2
But that ain’t true. If only she knew.

That Jesus – He loves and accepts us
Even when you don’t want Him, He’ll never reject us
He heals us from that sin that totally infects us
And He does what condoms can’t - He emotionally protects us

And I know some of you here – you’re gonna want to indict me
But we’ve got to think rightly, so I’ll ask politely
Can you  really say this isn’t even true?
Just slightly?

I mean, we touched the forbidden fruit
Just to realize its Poison Ivy
Now we’re numb and we’re itching
And we got a distorted psyche

You don’t think,  you just do it
Like your name was Nike
Not realizing that the consequences of your actions
Are oh so pricey

So this last story though
Is for those who think they’re too dirty
This last story is for those
Who think they’re unworthy

Read John chapter 8
The woman caught in adultery
The religious leaders throw her naked in the Temple
While she yells “Don’t murder me”

They say “Jesus, the Law commands us to stone this woman”
And you hear the hate in their tone
Jesus Pauses then says
“Whoever is without sin – you can cast the first stone”

I mean can you imagine the sound?
Silence all around
You hear footsteps walk away
You hear stones hit the ground

And then Jesus kneels down
The woman thought it was her demise
He lifts up her face
You see the grace in His eyes

He says “I don’t condemn you”
“Go and sin no more”
I love you, I accept you
Mercy is yours

But if you’re anything like me
You’re like “No, that can’t be”
Why would He
Ever die for me?

But you see, then I saw that scene
Where I was redeemed
He reached out and touched me
And said “Jeff, you’re free”

Instantly I was wearing the brightest robe I’d ever seen
I was perfectly spotless. I was perfectly clean.
So bright, in fact, that I thought I’d go blind.
I said “Whose is this?” 
He said “Actually its mine”

So think twice before you eat
What society feeds us
Come follow the King
His name is Jesus!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks to God I viewed, read, and reflected what I was doing... and for sure "my heart sunk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis - I'm glad if Jeff's poem helped you! He has a way of putting all these truths into perspective! God bless...Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete